Giving Children a Voice: Direct Work with Children Using the In My Shoes Interview
Professionals in direct work with children, including those who interview children or vulnerable adults – e.g. psychologists, social workers, child psychiatrists, other mental health staff, health workers, staff in education, specialists in forensic services.
Using an action-learning model, the training is designed to enable professionals to:
- familiarise themselves with the In My Shoes program
- develop skills in using the program in their work with children
By the end of the training, participants should:
- be familiar with the structure, content and rationale of In My Shoes
- be able to navigate the modules in the program, set preferences, and save, open and print files
- have developed some specific interviewing skills to facilitate communication with a child or young person when using In My Shoes
- be able to use In My Shoes to help children talk about their experiences, thoughts, feelings and wishes.
- know how to plan for continuing use of the program and where to seek help and support.
Visit the In My Shoes website.
Training in the use of the In My Shoes interview is offered in the following formats:
One-day course for trainees who are comfortable and familiar with their computer system and are confident with working, communicating and interviewing children or vulnerable adults.
Price: £90.00 per person (including course materials and In My Shoes software) for a group of 10 or 20 trainees plus trainer's expenses plus VAT.
Two-day course for trainees who would prefer more in-depth training on the use of the In My Shoes software and interview skills. The training days are separated by a number of weeks, to enable trainees to try out the In My Shoes interview in their work setting.
Price: £180.00 per person (including course materials and In My Shoes software) for a group of 16 or 20 trainees plus trainer's expenses plus VAT.
Optional half-day follow-up / coaching to recap on the wider uses of the modules, coaching and advice.
Price: £450.00 for a group of 10 or £900.00 for a group of 20 plus trainer's expenses plus VAT.
Optional In My Shoes registered user certification for practitioners who wish to formally confirm their expertise in using the In My Shoes interview. Two anonymised case records are evaluated, if these demonstrate appropriate use of all modules, Child and Family Training will issue a registered user certificate.
Price per registration: £65.00 plus VAT.
Contact us to discuss your agency’s or individual training needs, costs and any other questions.